Everything a Homeowner Should Know About James Hardie Siding
You take a great deal of pride in your home, which is why it’s frustrating when your siding starts to look weatherbeaten, warped, or shows signs of dry rot or decay.
- Cracked, bubbling or loose siding
- Sky-high utility bills
- High-maintenance siding
- Signs of damage from woodpeckers, termites, carpenter ants or other pests
- Sun-faded siding
- Damage from hail, ice or other impacts
- Moisture or peeling paint on your interior walls
- Outdated siding that ages your home
You need exterior siding that’s durable, low maintenance, and attractive. The problem? Most siding materials just don’t live up to these demands.
Wood needs constant attention and vinyl fades quickly. What can be done to get beautiful siding you’ll love for years?
James Hardie siding is the solution. Also called Hardie Board siding or HardiePlank siding, James Hardie is the premier manufacturer of fiber cement siding, and it’s widely known for its eye-catching appearance and long lifespan.
At Falcon Homes & Remodeling, we specialize in installing Hardie Board to protect your home and your warranty for years to come. Here’s what you should know about this exceptional siding material.
What Is Fiber Cement Siding Made Out Of?
James Hardie siding is revered for being a strong, versatile siding material that boosts curb appeal, but what is it and how is it made?
James Hardie siding is a kind of fiber cement siding that’s renowned for being sustainably made, durable, low maintenance, long-lasting, and resistant to pests. It’s even noncombustible thanks to the materials that go into creating this strong, yet somewhat flexible siding.
Fiber cement siding is made from just a few simple ingredients:
- Portland cement
- Cellulose fibers
Fiber cement siding is designed to be durable and last for decades. Thanks to James Hardie’s baked-on factory color application known as ColorPlus Technology, even the color is manufactured to last.
James Hardie siding is manufactured to match the needs of specific climates, which means that the Hardie Board siding we install in your Georgia home won’t be the same siding that a homeowner in Upstate New York receives.
What Are the Advantages of James Hardie Siding?
Fiber cement siding is an increasingly popular choice among homeowners looking for reliable, long-lasting solutions and lifetime value for their home’s exterior. Just what are the benefits of Hardie Board siding?
- Customizable options in countless colors and styles to match any aesthetic from contemporary to farmhouse, craftsman to colonial
- Durable siding that’s resistant to moisture damage, rotting, warping, and inclement weather like hail and heavy storms
- Low-maintenance care that only requires a soft brush and a garden hose for great-looking siding
- Long-lasting color that’s UV resistant and fade resistant thanks to ColorPlus technology
- A 30-year, non-prorated warranty that lasts the length of your home’s siding
- Sustainable building options—James Hardie siding has been named “the Greenest Siding Brand” by industry professionals, making it ideal for homeowners looking for eco-friendly options
- Fire and pest resistant
- Improved resale value on your home
Many homeowners are facing the struggles of replacing their home’s faulty stucco with quality siding. They’re dealing with major water damage thanks to stucco failure. James Hardie siding is an attractive, trustworthy alternative that keeps moisture out.
Here in Georgia, our region has a semi-arid to arid climate with mild winters and hot summers and constant extreme UV exposure. Since James Hardie siding is zoned for our climate, the HardieZone HZ10 materials we’ll install on your home are rated to withstand the fierce Georgia heat and humidity and can even withstand the high-force winds of hurricanes.
They’re formulated with the highest-quality raw materials to resist cracking, splitting, rotting, and swelling. You’re getting a product tailored to your geography.
How Does Hardie Siding Compare to Other Siding Materials?
When surveyed by the National Association of Home Buyers, homeowners with fiber cement siding have a 100-percent satisfaction rate with their siding choice. How does it measure up to other siding options?
- Compared to vinyl siding: Vinyl siding is a popular option. It’s affordable, customizable, easy to maintain and resistant to pests. But if you’re looking for a long-term, fully warranted solution that can mimic the look of brick, wood, or stucco and endure Georgia’s tough climate, fiber cement siding is the right choice.
- Compared to wood siding: Wood siding is a charming option that can give your home a lot of character. The prohibitive drawbacks? Wood siding is expensive, susceptible to pests and rot, and requires frequent, costly, labor-expensive maintenance.
- Compared to stucco: Many homes, especially those built in the 1980s and 1990s, were sided with stucco, which is now failing and exposing homes to moisture and rot, causing many homeowners a lot in costly repairs. Fiber cement siding is made to last, with no issues of failure.
- Compared to oriented strand board (OSB) siding: OSB siding is extremely prone to chipping, curled edges, swelling, buckling, warping, and cracking along the bottom edge of each plank. It just doesn’t hold up against Georgia weather and requires lots of maintenance to attempt to keep it in fair condition.
The bottom line? James Hardie siding is the perfect combination of form and function, with very little upkeep and no structural issues presented in these other siding materials
What Siding Styles and Colors Does James Hardie Offer?
When you choose Hardie Board siding, you get to choose from a wide range of styles and colors to create a look that’s entirely yours; one that’s perfectly suited to your home.
James Hardie siding comes in several varieties, each of which provides a very different look:
HardiePlank Siding: HardiePlank is a traditional vertical siding that gives a timeless look, but with the strength of fiber cement. It comes in many textures to echo the look of wood grain, to give a smooth appearance or to evoke colonial style.
HardieShingle Siding: HardieShingle gives homeowners the authentic, charming look of cedar shingles without the tedious upkeep that wood requires. It comes in several styles, including rounded and straight, and can create straight, even rows of shingles or staggered edges depending on the look you desire.
HardiePanel Vertical Siding: HardiePanel vertical siding can mimic the look of a stucco wall, but with the right trim pieces can also give you the perfect modern-farmhouse board-and-batten look. It too comes in a range of textures for maximum personalization.
Your options don’t end with the kind of siding you choose. With James Hardie siding, you get to choose from over 700 ColorPlus finishes or browse the Statement Collection, which is personalized to our region, so you can choose from the most popular colors selected by Georgia homeowners right in your area.
ColorPlus and James Hardie Siding Color Options
All Hardie siding options are primed at the factory and ready to paint. From there, homeowners have two options:
- You can choose any color in James Hardie’s range of colors applied with ColorPlus Technology. ColorPlus Technology is an even, consistent coating of a color finish that’s baked into the siding in a controlled factory environment. This even finish provides unmatched long wear and durability. With ColorPlus Technology, you get:
- A durable finish to optimize color adhesion
- A baked-on bond
- UV-ray rated, fade-resistant color
- You may also choose to purchase Hardie siding that has been primed. By choosing this option, you can have a painting company paint your siding for complete customization; you get to choose any color you’d like.
One of the perks that makes James Hardie siding so popular with homeowners is the ColorPlus Technology that the manufacturer uses to create vibrant, long-lasting color. And with over 700 different colors to choose from, Hardie siding colors can be personalized to create a stunning final result you’ll truly love.
To narrow down your options, James Hardie siding is broken down into multiple color collections:
Not sure which colors are right for you? Here are a few things to consider:
- The colors of the houses in your neighborhood and directly next door
- The color of your roof
- Your home’s architecture
- The kind of landscape you’re planning
You can use James Hardie’s Color Visualizer tool to see for yourself exactly how your color choices will look for your home.
What Is the Process to Install Hardie Siding Correctly?
How is James Hardie siding installed?
One thing that can’t be undersold is the importance of precise, careful installation of your home’s siding. After all, it’s your home’s defense against the elements; gaps or flaws in the installation can do a great deal of damage.
While there are many projects you can attempt to do yourself, siding is one job that’s best left to the professionals. With so much at stake, you should leave the job to experienced professionals who not only know how to protect your home, but your James Hardie manufacturer’s warranty too.
Since your warranty is voided if your siding is installed incorrectly, it’s crucial to leave this home improvement job to the professionals.
How will our team ensure your Hardie Board installation goes off without a hitch?
- We remove the siding and make sure it’s properly disposed of
- We repair your home’s exterior
- We wrap your windows and doors to protect them from being damaged in the installation
- We carefully install a James Hardie HardieWrap Weather Barrier
- We install your new siding according to James Hardie specifications
- We’ll paint your siding if you’ve opted against one of James Hardie’s ColorPlus colors
How Much Does James Hardie Siding Cost?
What is the cost of replacing your home’s siding with fiber cement siding?
When embarking on the process of having new siding installed, it’s important to know that there are a lot of factors that can affect your costs. Home Advisor suggests that the cost of installing new fiber cement siding is somewhere in the average range of $6,003 and $19,822. The reported high end of the range can be $35,000.
That’s a big range, which depends on the size of your home and a few other considerations that go into your siding replacement cost as well:
- Fiber cement is a composite that’s made in a factory, which requires a special blend of components in a process that’s been carefully perfected over time. The material composition can stand up to the elements and is much better than its less expensive counterparts.
- James Hardie fiber cement siding is thick, heavy, and takes a bigger installation crew to install it.
- Before installation, there are all kinds of stipulations in a James Hardie warranty on how the Hardie Board should be stored, handled, prepared and installed on your home.
- Fiber cement siding does come with a number of optional features to select for styles and color. ColorPlus Technology gives your home even coverage and lasting vibrant color.
It’s important to note that while James Hardie siding may cost more than other siding options like vinyl, you are getting several major trade-offs: high performance, a long lifespan, and an inclusive warranty.
What to Look for in a Qualified James Hardie Siding Contractor in the Atlanta Metro Area
Why is it so important for you to find the right siding contractor to install your siding? Careful installation is key to the success of your siding project. Just a small gap can wreak havoc on your home’s exterior, letting in moisture and pests that can create a world of damage.
Our motto? When it comes to your home’s exterior line of defense, it’s best to leave it to the professionals. Don’t trust your biggest home investment to anyone but the best.
At Falcon Homes & Remodeling, we are a Preferred Hardie Contractor, which means that we have earned special certification from James Hardie. We’re qualified in the proper techniques to install your Hardie siding to protect your warranty.
When hiring a Hardie siding contractor, experience matters. As a Preferred Hardie Contractor, we’ll put in thorough, meticulous work to shield your investment and your warranty and to ensure you’re thrilled with the end result. We want you to love your siding for years to come, which means we install your siding so that it lasts for decades.
If you’re concerned about your home’s siding, don’t wait. You shouldn’t have to suffer through rot, warped boards, or storm-damaged siding. When you work with Falcon Homes & Remodeling, you and your home become our top priorities.
We believe you shouldn’t have to leave the home you love because of outdated or deteriorating siding. We’ll rejuvenate your home so you can continue to create memories there for many more years.
Falcon Homes & Remodeling is dedicated to helping homeowners like you love coming home again. Are you ready for a brand-new, beautiful exterior? We want to help. Schedule a free quote and design consultation today.