Delaying a Roof Replacement Can Cost You
When your roof gets damaged or worn out, your home’s protection can be compromised, causing moisture penetration. Once water enters your home, wood rot, mold, and mildew can result, creating the need for costly repairs. It’s vital to stay alert to the signs it’s time for a new roof so that when you replace it, you don’t have to do a lot of repairs along with the replacement.
Signs It’s Time for a Roof Replacement
Here are some questions to ask that indicate it’s time for a new roof:
1. Is your current roof over 20 years old?
If your current roof is over 20 years old, it has likely completed its lifespan and should be replaced. Don’t wait for major problems to pop up; its age alone calls for a new roof.
2. Do you see asphalt granules in your gutters?
Granules in your gutters indicate your shingles are literally washing away. When rain tumbles down your home’s roof and erodes granules away, your home’s protective layer is thinning. Granules look like dark sand, and when they detach, your shingles weaken rapidly. If you find extensive amounts of shingles in your gutters, be sure to contact a roofing contractor promptly and have your roof inspected.
3. Was your roof damaged by a storm?
Hail and high winds can wreak havoc on your home exterior—particularly your roof—leaving it vulnerable to moisture invasion. After a hailstorm or high winds, carefully inspect your roof for damage. This can be done safely with binoculars from across your street. If you suspect damage, contact a roof replacement contractor and have it inspected.
4. Can you see sunlight in the attic?
If you enter your attic and spot sunshine peeking through into your home, it’s time for a roof replacement or at least some substantial repairs. Water is likely penetrating your attic insulation, so have your roof inspected promptly.
5. Do you have missing shingles?
When a few shingles have gone missing and need to be replaced, there’s no cause for alarm—simply replace them. But if large portions of your roof shingles are missing, it’s time for a roof replacement.
6. Are your shingles curling?
When your shingles “cup”, their edges raise up while the middle of the shingles are still attached. When shingles “claw”, their edges are attached while the middle of the shingles raise up. Cupping and clawing shingles are signals your roof is leaking. And if shingles curl, your roof will likely need to be replaced in the next few years.
7. What about your flashing?
Old flashing is typically made of tar or roofing cement, and it can wear out over time. The area around your chimney or other vents in your roof should be inspected regularly. Flashing is placed around these openings to keep moisture from penetrating. Replace with metal flashing to provide your home a reliable seal and give you peace of mind.
8. Does your roof sag?
When snow or ice weighs heavily on your roof, sagging can occur. A sagging roof needs to be attended to promptly for your safety.
Falcon Exteriors—A CertainTeed Select Shinglemaster Contractor
At Falcon Exteriors, we choose only the finest materials in the industry to upgrade your home. Our Shingles are no exception! Get gorgeous, long-lasting CertainTeed shingles. For outstanding durability, multiple style choices and vast color selections, enjoy CertainTeed shingles. Our products are backed by the manufacturer’s warranty, giving you peace of mind. Here are a few of our favorite options:
- Landmark Shingles—These are the heaviest weight and come in the widest array of color options in their class. They meet the industry’s strictest third-party standards, and have a lifetime limited warranty.
- Landmark Pro Shingles—These durable shingles with two laminated layers replicate the dimensional appearance of wood shake shingles.
- Belmont Shingles—These top-grade asphalt shingles are reinforced with fiberglass and are super durable. Homeowners love their class A fire resistance, 110 mph wind resistance, and 15-year algae resistance warranty.
- XT25 Shingles—These impact-resistant shingles give you superior resistance to blowing off or tearing.
- Grand Manor Shingles—These elegant shingles give you the depth and dimension of natural slate.
- Carriage House Shingles—If you want a timeless and luxurious look, check out these beauties with cut-away corners and wide, dark shadow lines that give them a natural slate look.
- Presidential Shingles—Get the deluxe look of cedar with the high performance of fiberglass.
- Northgate Shingles—This modified asphalt shingle gets the highest grade available—the class 4 impact resistance rating.
- Patriot Shingles—These smart, cost-effective single-layered asphalt shingles gives you a 30-year warranty against defects, offering you peace of mind.
Material choices aren’t the only factor that assures a durable, high performance roof. How well your roof installation is performed plays an important role in the toughness and function of a roofing system.
Falcon Exteriors is recognized as a CertainTeed Select Shinglemaster contractor, which means you can be assured of our expertise and qualifications. We specialize in residential roofing.
Get a Roof Replacement Contractor You Can Trust
We understand how overwhelming it can be to need a roof replacement. That’s why we developed a simple process that assures your home is protected with a trustworthy roof. We’ve helped hundreds of homeowners in the Atlanta area with a whole house exterior transformation—including a new roof.
Receive a thorough inspection to determine the exact source of any problems, and we’ll recommend the best products to solve the problem and prevent future deterioration. Homeowners appreciate our quick 48-hour turnaround time on a detailed estimate. And we’re available to represent your needs with your insurance company if your home has been damaged.